Sunday, August 30, 2009

Callings

Today Rojohn was sustained as the 1st counselor in our bishopric.  This wasn’t a huge surprise as he’d already been serving as the 2nd counselor when our 1st counselor moved to Utah.  (We miss you Fellows!)  Jon Potter has been called to serve as 2nd counselor and we know that he will do an excellent job as well.  I’m guessing that he’ll be the counselor over Primary, so as Primary President, I’m sure I’ll get to know him quite well.

It’s kinda funny because Jon is currently serving as the YM President in our ward and his wife if pregnant.  When Rojohn was called to serve as 2nd counselor, he was serving as YM President and I was pregnant with Ashilene. 

I remember when Rojohn was called to serve as 2nd counselor, I was asked if I had any concerns and I mentioned that I was concerned about still serving as Primary President after the baby came, with Rojohn serving in the bishopric and my 1st counselor due with her first baby just a week after I was due.  I know that this was a silly concern because many women serve as Primary President with way more than just one baby to take care of, but never having been a mother before, I didn’t know if I would be able to be an effective mother and Primary president at the same time.  I think I was afraid of failure.

Obviously I wasn’t released as Primary President when Ashilene was born and I have to say that my testimony that Heavenly Father will never give us more than we can handle has been greatly strengthened.  I’ve been amazed at all the inspiration that has come to help me simplify the way I was doing my calling, yet still feel like I am magnifying it.  It has also been miraculous that my baby and my counselor’s baby never seem to be having a “bad time” at the same time, so between myself and my two incredible counselors (and other wonderful helpers in Primary) we’re always able to keep things running smoothly and our precious babies taken care of.

I am SO grateful to still be serving in Primary.  We had a wonderful Primary activity yesterday.  Thank you to my sister, GayLynn, for giving me the idea, which they used in their Primary.  We had the children come and decorate cookies, which they were then able to deliver to less active children in our Primary with their families.  It really warmed my heart to see these precious children serving other children in our Primary with their families.

3 comments:

Stacy Pettersen said...

I NEEDED THIS POST, MERILEE!!! This past week I have felt so overwhelmed with mommy, 3 classes, Primary choister, and building librarian all on my plate (and I haven't done my VT yet)! I have been asking myself, 'Why was I called to be the building librarian? I haven't gotten around to doing ANYTHING about it yet and it's been almost a month!' I guess I need to have a little more faith. =)

Christina said...

You guys will all be wonderful in your callings! We are all in the callings we need to be in because we are supposed to be in them. I hope that makes sense.

Alex McMurray said...

It is really interesting how every calling has its duties and responsibilities that are vital to the progress and advancement of the Lord's work.

Not only do callings give members of the Church a chance to serve one another but I've grown to feel that they are an opportunity to personally learn and grow.

The Apostle Paul taught this truth in Romans 12:3-5:

"For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same office:

"So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another."

Keep up the good work and, like I tell my students, grow where you are planted!