Sunday, March 8, 2009

Fun FHE Primary Activity

At our Ward Conference in January, our bishop challenged each of us to make a concerted effort this year to hold consistent Family Home Evenings. He promised that each of us as individuals and as families would be strengthened as we did our best to follow this inspired program on a consistent basis. It has been really neat to see our ward truly unite behind this goal. Almost every week someone giving a talk or bearing testimony mentions the efforts they've been making to hold regular FHE. Our bishop has been sponsoring a monthly FHE fireside. Last month's fireside focused on families with children still at home. This month's fireside will focus on Single Adults. In coming months, the focus will be on couples with no children currently at home and Part Member Families. Relief Society and Primary Presidency Messages in newsletters and some lessons and Sharing Time Presentations have focused on FHE. We decided to put the focus of our first Primary Quarterly Activity on FHE. This actually works well with the Primary Theme for this year - "My Eternal Family".
As the children gathered for our activity yesterday, we had them meet in the kitchen, where my first counselor taught them how to make "Puppy Chow" Treats for FHE. While the treats were setting in the fridge, the children moved on to the Primary Room, where I taught them the basics of preparing a lesson for FHE. Then they all moved on to the Cultural Hall where we had tables and chairs set up for them. My second counselor showed them how to make FHE Assignment Charts and had materials for each family to make one to take home.
We also recently had new Librarians called in our ward and they have been working diligently to "clean out" our Ward Library. In their cleaning out process, they donated a ton of old pictures to our Primary, so I went through and organized all the pictures into the following categories - Old Testament, New Testament, Book of Mormon, Church History, Gospel Principles, Family & Nature. We laid out all the pictures by category on tables, so at the end of the activity, each child could go around and pick out some pictures to take home and use for future FHE lessons. The children seemed happy to take home their FHE Assignment Charts, FHE Picture Packets and especially their "Puppy Chow" Treats. I was very pleased with how everything turned out. I am so blessed to have such wonderful counselors. This activity never would've come together without everyone's help. I am especially grateful for my tremendously supportive husband, Rojohn, who set up all the tables and chairs for us and even ran home to get the camera for me, when I forgot to bring it!


1 comment:

Riesel said...

You're just too cute Merilee! When I have kids I hope they have a primary president like you!