Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Our Two Year Old

5-10-11 Ashilene at Hank's Playhouse Warming Party

On May 16th,  my BABY turned 2!  Where does the time go?!!!  At her doctor’s appt yesterday, we learned that Ashilene now weighs 27 lbs (75%) and her height is 35” (70%), which puts her at 25% on the BMI.  A lot has happened the past month and a half, so I’ll try to briefly recap . . . The picture to the left was taken at our friend, Hank’s Playhouse Warming Party.   001

Hank’s parents, Mark and Gretchen, are super talented.  They designed, built and painted this darling playhouse.  Ashilene had so much fun playing in it!

Ashilene likes pretending to chew, gagging herself (we’ve had to work hard to break her of that habit), giving hugs, kisses & dancing (especially with Mommy).   She also started doing what I call “Jonah’s oooh face”.Smile

Jonah by fountain

Some of the new words and phrases she’s added to her vocabulary include “Ainako” (this is a Tagalog word, so I’m probably butchering the spelling – it sounds like she’s saying “A Nickel!” when she says it – so cute!), “Bless You” (which she’s had numerous opportunities to say as my allergies have been INSANE lately – she also likes to pretend to sneeze “A CHOO!”), “Want some?” (which she will say while trying to put food in your mouth), “Hurt” and “Owie” (one day she found a bar code sticker that she kept putting on her arm like a band-aid and saying “Owie”).  It’s also super cute to see her point to pictures of herself and say, “Ashilini” (which is one of our nicknames for her).  Very recently she has gotten to the point where she will repeat some of the words after us during Family Prayer and Scripture Time.  I absolutely LOVE hearing her try to say prayers and read scriptures.

032She’s become pretty good at recognizing and saying letters, colors and family member names including . . .

063

Papa

027

Grandma

007

Great Grandma

018

Lolo

017

Lola

020

Daddy, Uncles Teejay, James & Rigo

010

Cousins Ysella, Makeo, Kaylana & Auntie Jubie (it’s so cute to hear her talk about her Auntie DubieWinking smile)

 023

Cousin Kainoa & Auntie Riesel (not pictured)

005

Cousin Jonah & Auntie GayLynn

011

Uncle Kevin

006

Mommy

035

Ashilene loves her family members SO much!  I often overhear her chattering away on her fake phones “talking” to Kaylana or Jonah or Grandma or Auntie Dubie or Daddy.  It is SO cute!  It’s also kinda funny when I’m changing her diaper or something else that she dislikes, she will often cry out, “Daddy!  Daddy!”, but then the other night she started crying out, “Grandma!  Grandma!”  I guess those are the people she thinks are most likely to “rescue” her.Winking smile  She would love to play with her cousins 24/7.  This was her reaction when her cousin Jonah had to leave and go home after playing with her on her birthday . . .

024

As she has been entering the “terrible twos” these “tantrums” have become more frequent.  She’s not very fond of sharing and has become a bit more aggressive . . .

023

But overall, she is still an incredibly fun and friendly little girl and often makes cute new friends at the park . . .

Ashilene makes a new friend

She’s become more adventurous at the park.  Check out this big slide she went down all by herself . . .

029

She still loves climbing . . .

027

. . . and has even mastered the toddler rock wall!

025

On April 25th, Ashilene totally shocked me by saying and doing the sign for “potty”.  I’d been pondering when I might start potty training her and already had a little potty out for her and stickers to reward her with when the time came.  We’d been reading a fun Potty board book that she pretty much had memorized, so when she came to me saying “potty”, I said, “Bye Bye Diaper?” (just like it says in the book) and she said, “Bye Bye Diaper”, so we took off her diaper and sat her down on her little potty, but unfortunately the sound of her peepee hitting the bottom of the little potty was a shock she was not prepared for.  I tried to get her over that shock by doing a big “Hooray!” (just like it says in the book) and rewarding her with stickers, but by the end of the day, she wanted to have absolutely nothing to do with her little potty, so we’re on a break from potty training now.

001

Ashilene has developed her own unique sense of fashion.  She loves wearing this helmet and the red galoshes she inherited from her cousin Ysella.  She is constantly asking for me to put on her “Boots” (even over her pajamas sometimes).

013

Daddy’s shoes are another popular clothing item for her.

004

We just love our 2 year old!

043

7 comments:

Stacy Pettersen said...

Happy Birthday Ashilene! We have a card for you, but we didn't think to bring it with us on our vacation, so you'll get to celebrate even longer when we get back home and send it to you!!!

amy said...

She is an absolute doll!!!

JillandMauricio said...

Oh my gosh-2!!! Crazy and just as beautiful as ever. What a sweet little two year old. Enjoy because it just keeps going so fast:(!!

Christina said...

You have a beautiful little girl and I'm loving her long, silky hair!

Alex McMurray said...

Love it!

Our address: gwack.blogspot.com

Take care!

Xoxo
Alex & Kari

GayLynn said...

What a fun post, Merilee! I love all the pictures of Ashilene with all her different family members. I also love that oooh face comparison. :) She is such a doll and just gets more and more beautiful each time we see her.

Christi Ellis said...

Oh my goodness she is ADORABLE!!! I can't believe how well you have summarized her stage as a 2 year old recently. I can't wait til we move home so she can know her Aunti Christi and Uncle Griffin too! :)