Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy Fourth of July

IMG_4568

With the 4th of July falling on a Sunday this year, we didn’t do a whole lot to celebrate Independence Day, but I do want to say how grateful I am for the sacrifices made by so many so that I have the freedom to go to church and worship my Heavenly Father according to the dictates of my own conscience.

In this picture of Ashilene wearing her adorable “American Cutie” onesie, you can actually see her first molar that is coming in.  Unfortunately this teething, along with a less than pleasant cold and cough, has been giving her quite a bit of pain lately.  Ashilene is not a cry baby, so I know that when she really cries it’s because she is definitely in pain.:(

I received a new calling in church today.  I am still serving as the 2nd counselor in our Relief Society presidency, but I have also been called to serve as one of our Assistant Ward Organists.  I have never played the organ in my life!  Well, I guess I did play around on the organ my grandparents had when I was  little, but that doesn’t count.  Brent and Sharon Lewis had been our ward organists for years, but now they are valiantly serving a mission in Germany.  In an effort to fill the music void left in their absence, the bishopric is calling a few of us who played the piano at some point in our lives and giving us the opportunity to come WAY out of our comfort zones and unbury some long neglected/hidden talents.  Even though this calling terrifies me a bit, I know it is the only thing that could force me to start practicing the piano again.  Rojohn thinks this will be a good opportunity for me to set a good example for Ashilene.  We do hope that she will play the piano someday.  Hopefully the ward will be patient with me and the many bum notes I am sure to play as I nervously try to play the piano again.  I haven’t taken lessons since I was in 8th grade!!!!!  I’m going to start out with hymns from the Hymns Made Easy book.  Wish me luck!

3 comments:

'Cembers Thoughts said...

hey remember when you convinced bishop lasher to make me choir director?? pay back. :) just kidding it'll be fun. i played lots during my mission, one handed that is. have fun. you'll do great.

Katie and Joel said...

Yikes! I don't remember an organ being in Sis. Remington's house! Hee hee! I know you'll do great.

GayLynn said...

I would be terrified!!! But what a great opportunity to develop that talent again! Good luck practicing with your little helper!